Any high school percussion ensemble is eligible to participate; however, all members of the percussion ensemble must be in compliance with all UIL and H.B. 72 extracurricular activity and eligibility rules.
Percussion ensembles must submit an online entry Google Form, and send the entry fee to the Tomball Band Booster Club (TBBC), P.O. Box 643, Tomball, TX 77377-0642
- Make your check payable to the Tomball Band Booster Club (TBBC) and indicate “Drums of Fall entry” in the memo/comment area
- Indicate clearly on the check your group’s school name
- Entry deadline due two weeks prior to event
DIVISIONS and CLASSIFICATIONS
The Tomball “Drums of Fall” Marching Percussion Contest will utilize the standard UIL school size classifications for competitive divisions.
A final performance schedule will be released 2 weeks in advance of the event. Details such as prelims/finals, clinic time, etc. will be determined based on the number of entries.
- Acoustic or electronic percussion is allowed. Electricity will be provided to a single outlet box. Each group is responsible to provide its own electric power cords and equipment.
- Accompaniment by non-percussion instrumentation is permitted.
- All music must be performed live.
- Each percussion ensemble will be allotted a maximum time on the field of 15 minutes to enter, set-up, perform, tear down and exit the contest area.
- The percussion ensemble will be signaled by a field official to enter the field. The start of the allotted time shall be when equipment crosses the start line onto the field.
- The stop time shall be determined when all equipment has been removed from the performance area.
- No performance field boundaries will be imposed.
- Times will be reported in the final scoring.
- Four judges will adjudicate each ensemble’s performance.
- Each percussion ensemble will be judged in, and scores allotted to, the following: Execution, Repertoire and Performance Effect.
- Overtime penalties for percussion ensemble performances are based on the 15-minute allotment for set-up, performance and clearance from the field.
- Penalty deductions will be reduced from the Raw Score resulting in a Net Score and shall be assessed from the following table:
|10 to 30||0.5|
|31 to 45||0.8|
|45 to 60||1.0|
|61||1.0 + 0.5 for each 20 seconds increment greater than 60 seconds overtime|
- Judges will adjudicate each percussion ensemble performance based on a 100-point scale:
40 points – Execution
30 points – Repertoire
30 points – Performance Effect
- The sum of the Judges’ scores will be divided by the number of Judges to determine the average Raw Score.
- Penalty deductions will be reduced from the Raw Score resulting in a Net Score.
- The percussion ensembles will be ranked from highest Net Score to lowest Net Score
In the event of a tie:
- First tiebreaker will be determined by ranking the percussion ensembles based on the average of the Execution Score.
- Second tiebreaker will be determined by ranking the percussion ensembles based on the average of the Performance Effect Score.
- Third tiebreaker will be determined by ranking the percussion ensembles based on the average of the Repertoire Score or Compulsory Score.
- Fourth tiebreaker will be based on the lower amount of penalty deductions.
- In the event percussion ensembles are tied after four tiebreakers, the position will be declared a draw and each percussion ensemble will share the position.
Placement Awards will be given to ensembles for the top three (3) performances in each division.
Caption Awards in each Division will be given for the following:
- Best Cymbal Line
- Best Tenor Line
- Best Bass Line
- Best Snare Line
- Best Tom Line
- Best Front Ensemble
Equipment may be stored within your allotted truck parking area. The Tomball High School Band Booster Club assumes no risk of loss, damage or theft.
- Each percussion ensemble will be allotted 90 minutes of designated warm up prior to their performance, followed by a 10 minute transition to the performance area. All units will be expected at the “gate” 5 minutes prior to their performance time (specified in final schedule).
- Warm-up and practice on site will be allowed only in the areas designated. Play outside of this area is prohibited. Directors: please help us comply with this ordinance.
- Percussion Ensembles are not allowed to re-apportion their practice area.
INCLEMENT WEATHER PLAN
In the event of inclement weather, the Tomball High School Band Booster Club and contest staff will consider the safety, the forecasts and the conditions permitting each group to perform equally to the conditions providing an optimum performance. After consideration of these factors, the Tomball High School Band Booster Club and contest staff reserve the rights to amend the scheduled performances in any of the following manners as deemed appropriate at the time of the decision:
Option 1: Move the groups scheduled to perform in the stadium into an indoor facility (gymnasium).
Option 2: In the event of changing weather conditions on the field, a delay may be issued for performing groups. These announcements will be broadcast through multiple levels of communication.
In the event that delays or changing weather conditions preempt the full execution of the Finals Event for any division, then the scores from Preliminaries shall be used to determine Finals placement (if applicable).